The Department of History admits students with demonstrated potential in historical research. It determines that potential by examining undergraduate GPA, GRE scores (particularly verbal scores), and recommendations. Because of the centrality of writing to success in the discipline, we require applicants to provide 3 separate writing samples, including a research paper.
All applicants for graduate degrees in history must submit:
- the application form (application can be found here: https://app.applyyourself.com/AYApplicantLogin/fl_ApplicantConnectLogin.asp?id=case-gr)
- a letter of intent or statement of objectives
- a CV or resume
- scores on the GRE
- three letters of recommendation (preferably from former professors)
- a writing sample (e.g., a previously written college essay or research paper).
- a short essay on the following question: What work of history has impressed you the most, and why? (This should be a book by a serious historian.)
All of these items must be in our hands no later than January 31 for the applicant to be considered for financial aid for matriculation in August; only complete applications can be considered for admission or financial aid.
All application materials must be submitted electronically through the School of Graduate Studies website. Official transcripts and any other paper materials should be sent to the Case Western Reserve University, History Department, 10900 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44106-7101.
Please direct questions regarding application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For information on CWRU that is not specific to the Department of History, please visit the School of Graduate Studies website or contact Graduate Studies at the address below.
School of Graduate Studies
Case Western Reserve University
10900 Euclid Avenue
Nord Hall, 6th floor
Cleveland, Ohio 44106-7027
Graduate Application: https://app.applyyourself.com/AYApplicantLogin/fl_ApplicantConnectLogin.asp?id=case-gr